Since 2011, JSpaceCanada has served as the home for pro-peace, pro-Israel Canadians. An all-volunteer, non-partisan, organization, we strive to serve as a voice for moderation and social justice, both in Israel and Canada.
We support a negotiated settlement to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict that is guided by the principles of mutual recognition and respect, and reflects the legitimate rights of both peoples to self- determination, peaceful coexistence and security.
We oppose any claims that question Israel’s right to exist and oppose the BDS movement. In the same vein, we consider the expansion of settlements in the West Bank an obstacle to peace and a threat to Israel’s security.
- To provide a safe space to discuss progressive ideas for social justice, human and civil rights, and peace and security for Israel.
- To promote democratic and civil rights for all of Israel’s citizens, residents and neighbours in accord with Jewish values and Israel’s Declaration of Independence.
- To serve as an informed voice for a balanced approach, and as an alternative to extremist voices on the far ‘right’ and the far ‘left.’
- To educate Canadians on the historical realities behind the conflict in the Middle East, and to put the relationship between Canadian Jews and Israel into context.
- To let the public, community leaders and elected officials know that the Jewish community has many voices. JSpaceCanada strives to be a voice of moderation and social justice, both on Israel and on issues that affect Jews as citizens of Canada.
Progressive Zionism: We are committed to protecting Israel’s democracy by commenting on government policies and actions that in our view do not reflect the Jewish values and democratic principles enshrined in Israel’s Declaration of Independence. We also speak out when we believe Israel is being unfairly criticized or when obvious and unwarranted anti-Israel bias occurs.
Sustainable Peace: JSpaceCanada advocates for a two-state solution, but we believe any future peace agreement should strive for balance, result in mutual recognition, and create conditions for a just, secure and sustainable peace.
Jewish Unity: At a time when attacks on the Jewish community are increasing, many community leaders are more engaged in criticizing each other than uniting to confront common challenges. We want to build bridges, recognizing the value of constructive dissent and focusing on what unites us.