A PROGRESSIVE JEWISH VOICE
JSpaceCanada is an all-volunteer, non-partisan, progressive Jewish organization. We offer a Canadian voice on issues concerning human rights and social justice – in Canada, Israel, and throughout the world. We advocate for democracy, peace, and a just two-state solution to the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict.
WHAT WE DO
JSpaceCanada is a centre for discussions of social justice, peace, and civil rights, both in Israel and Canada. Our year-round programming includes film screenings, panel discussions, parlour meetings, rallies, and briefings from leading commentators and government officials.
JSpaceCanada’s Biennial Conference serves as the premier gathering for pro-peace, pro-Israel Canadians. Our 2019 Conference, titled “From Indifference to Making a Difference” featured commentators and changemakers from across the globe, including Naomi Chazan (Past Chair, New Israel Fund), Shaqued Morag (Peace Now Israel), Peter Beinart (CNN Commentator), Yair Rosenberg (Tablet Magazine), Hon. Bob Rae (Canada’s UN Ambassador), among others. More than 300 attendees gathered in Toronto to tackle the most-pressing issues for progressive Jewish communities in Israel and Canada.
We have hosted an array of outstanding speakers at our events and programs, including:
- Jon Allen – Former Canadian Ambassador to Israel, and Fellow at the Munk School of Global Affairs, Senior Fellow with the Canada International Council;
- Hon. Ron Atkey — Former Federal Minister of Employment and Immigration;
- Galit Baram – Consul General of Israel in Toronto;
- Peter Beinart – Associate Professor of Journalism and Political Science at the City University of New York. Contributor to The Atlantic, Senior Columnist at The Forward, CNN Political Commentator, Fellow at The Foundation for Middle East Peace;
- Kenneth Bob – President, Ameinu;
- Naomi Chazan – Former Deputy Speaker and Member of the Knesset for Meretz, Past Chair of the New Israel Fund;
- Hon. Irwin Cotler – Former Federal Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada, Chair of the Raoul Wallenberg Centre for Human Rights, Emeritus Professor of Law at McGill University, international human rights lawyer;
- Mohammad Darawshe – Director of Givat Haviva – the Center for Equality & Shared Society;
- Paul Duwar — Former Member of Parliament for Ottawa Centre, Former NDP Critic on Foreign Affairs;
- Yoni Goldstein – Editor of The Canadian Jewish News;
- Raja Khouri – Founding president of the Canadian Arab Institute, Formerly Commissioner with the Ontario Human Rights Commission, Founder of Raja Khouri Conversations;
- Deborah Lyons – Former Canadian Ambassador to Israel;
- Judy Maltz – Feature Writer, Haaretz
- Patrick Martin – Former editor and foreign correspondent for The Globe and Mail;
- Shaqued Morag – Executive Director of Peace Now Israel;
- Hon. Bob Rae — Canadian UN Ambassador, 21st Premier of Ontario, Former Interim Leader of the Federal Liberal Party;
- Rabbi Uri Regev — President of Hiddush – For Freedom of Religion and Equality;
- Yair Rosenberg – Senior Writer at Tablet Magazine;
- Dr. Dianne Saxe – Deputy Leader of the Ontario Green Party, Former Environmental Commissioner of Ontario;
- Mira Sucharov – Associate Professor of Political Science at Carleton University, Co-editor of Social Justice and Israel/Palestine: Foundational & Contemporary (University of Toronto Press, 2019).